Friday 21 December 2012

....saying goodbye to the sea & driving home for Christmas!



So today I hit the road and drove home for Christmas, leaving behind the sea and beautiful Dorset coastline. I love going to my parents for Christmas and cosying down beside the family with a log fire, but my heart always feels a little sad. When I go away I already start to feel a yearning to go back to the shore line and look across the vast calming ocean. I'm not sure that I could now leave the serenity of living near the sea. I stumbled across this lovely poem by John Masefield not long after I moved to Dorset and I have loved it ever since.


Sea Fever
 I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.







I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.





I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way, where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.
 John Masefield


One day I hope to spend Christmas near the seaside and cook a big Christmas dinner for my folks and family, and then have a blow across the beach. But for now I'll enjoy following family traditions at home with my loved ones and fat ageing piggy (Dachshund)

Wishing you all a safe drive home for Christmas wherever you should be! Have a lovely weekend!

Gem x

No comments:

Post a Comment