Monday 21 January 2013

... escaping into the wilderness





I have always had an interest in wildlife and a huge fascination about woods, as a child  they would  haunt me and delight me. My dad was brilliant at taking us on adventures; to the Mendips to search for goblins or into the woods at Ashton Court. We would spend hours playing in hollowed out trees, running through the woods with our hand made sticks making up games. Swinging from the vines of the old mans beard in Leigh Woods was a BIG favourite, our legs would swing freely over the gorges, and our excitement would ripple up into our throats with screams of pure delight, they would echo over the valley walls and bounce back inside our ears. To be an eight year old again ( I think this was probably my favourite childhood age)



 Now with the brilliant  novel from Colin Meloy  I am reliving these joys. His  book the 'Wildwood' had me captured so much I was in bed last night at 9.30 pm to read more about Prue McKeel and her adventures in the 'Impassable Wilderness'. Where there are armed talking Coyotes and crows that kidnap babies. So yep you would be right in the understanding that it is a children's book! But so far I am gripped. It is beautifully illustrated by the artist Carlson Ellis. For a year now I have had a wallpaper image on my phone of a girl flying on a  bird of prey that I discovered on Pinterest, I had no idea that I would find this image in one of the beautifully illustrated plates within the book! The book is planned to  be written as a trilogy, so I am pleased to know that I will have two more beautifully illustrated books on my book case. The decemberist musician come author and his wife (Ellis) make a fantastic team.


I was lucky to have two of these plates in my copy, so I am going to frame one! 


Cuckoo Cuckoo


I love books that have maps or family tree's inside the cover


If I have my own children I know I would love reading this to them. It has a grown up, yet intriguing narrative that would appeal to the adventurous, curious nipper. It's a little on the dark side so probably for any brave 8yr olds and upwards. Snowy nights are great for curling up on the sofa and reading a good book, especially when the setting themselves are cold and isolated. If you want a more 'Grown Up' read I can definitely recommend Jo Nesbo's 'The Snowman' but if you have a snowman in your garden at the moment, don't go there! It is terrifying.

More info on the Wildwood Chronicles  can be found on their website

www.wildwoodchronicles.com

Happy reading & don't forget the hot chocolate & blankets

Have a good week! 

gem x




No comments:

Post a Comment